What is Tencel?Tencel is a so-called "man-made cellulose fiber", that is, a fiber produced from natural raw materials industrially produced. It is made from Asian Eucalyptus wood from sustainable forestry and is biodegradable.
The fiber has an exceptionally smooth surface with silky handle, warms almost as good as sheep skull wool, cools similar to linen and is absorbent as cotton. For this purpose TenCel is also wet extremely tear-resistant and thus a very durable material.
How is Tencel made?
- First, small snippets of eucalyptus wood are soaked to release the pulp.
- The pulp thus obtained is mixed with the non-toxic release filter NMMO and water.
- The mass is then heated under vacuum and thus removed the water until the cellulose dissolves and forms a spinning solution.
- This is filtered and pressed by spinnerets. Then it comes into a spinning bath in which the fibers are produced.
- The special feature of the production of Lyocell is the almost complete cycle guide of the solvent used. This can be easily removed from the fiber by its good water mixing capacity and is environmentally friendly as well as biodegradable.
Tencel is environmentally friendlyThe novel cellulose fiber Lyocell offers a good, ecologically meaningful alternative to other chemical fibers and also to cotton.
- The starting material for the production of Tencel is eucalyptus wood from sustainably managed plantations in South Africa. The areas for the cultivation are poorly or not suitable for agricultural use for food cultivation. Eucalyptus is growing fast and, in contrast to conventionally cultivated cotton without artificial irrigation and pesticides.
- It is used to use a state-of-the-art method excellent from the EU with the European Environmental Prize with a production cycle at 99.7%.
- The solvent used is also completely non-toxic.
- In the production of TenCel only a fraction of the amount of water is used, which is used for the production of other chemical fibers. Cotton also requires about 10-20 times more water.
- TENCEL is biodegradable, so compostable.
Tencel at Mandala Fashion
At Mandala you will find yoga pants, tops and hoodies from Tencel. Discover our Tencel collection!